Connemara and The Islands, a place known to many for its white sandy beaches, remote walking trails, and unique cultural offering reopens this June, just in time for summer fun and memorable family holidays.
Connemara; a region of great variety, both geographically and culturally; stretches from Galway Bay to Killary Fjord, taking in the Aran Islands and Inishbofin, and lies at the heart of Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way.
Our new website has just launched featuring a range of special offers for families, short visits, and longer stays, along with a social media campaign showcasing inspiration from sunrise on the shores of Lough Corrib to sunset at picturesque Dogs Bay.
Connemara’s diversity, from stony fields to island life, its people, literary culture, arts, and music, and its strength of outdoor activities and amenities are of particular appeal this summer as staycation tourists seek out safe environments due to Covid-19.
The region is a land of contrasts – its backdrop of the Twelve Bens and its extensive bog complex, multiple peninsulas and inlets, and its unique islands, all steeped in age-old Gaelic culture and tradition symbolise the essence of the Wild Atlantic Way and has inspired writers, artists, and musicians over the centuries.
Connemara’s unique identity is its strongest selling point for those seeking memorable holiday moments this summer; the region is home to the cultural heartland of an Ghaeilge, where old traditions and heritage are at their strongest.
Connemara offers accommodation for all tastes, including glamping, self-catering, award-winning country houses, five-star hotels, and guesthouses, in secluded areas, attractive villages, or at the beach; there’s something for everyone. We are delighted that our new website now features a range of accommodation pages and special offers linking in with local activities and attractions like sea angling, boat cruises, and sightseeing tours.
Top 10 local attractions for a Connemara staycation:
Below are ten top attractions that are open for business. To find more information or to visit one of these sites, head to connemara.ie
- The Islands – Explore Connemara’s islands – a new ferry connection from Galway City and established routes from Ros an Mhíl for na hOileáin Árann; travel from Cleggan Pier for Inisbofin
- Family Adventure Days at Wildlands, Moycullen or Killary Adventure Centre
- Joyce Country and Western Lakes Geopark – home to internationally significant geology
- Beach Days – Lonely Planet recently recommended Dog’s Bay as one of the Top Ten Beaches to Visit in Ireland. If you prefer a quiet escape the village of Carna is surrounded by hidden pristine beaches.
- Connemara Food Experiences: Food trucks, pop ups, restaurants and excellent food producers; from land and sea; drop into delis that to pick up bespoke picnics, and delicious fresh seafood- local cuisine abounds
- Walking Trails in an Cheathrú Rua and at Connemara National Park
- Connemara by Bike: rent a bike in Cill Chiaráin and explore the hidden gems of the Iorras Aithneach peninsula
- Connemara Greenway: stroll or pedal on newly opened sections of the Connemara Greenway
- Coastal Adventures: discover coasteering and paddling with Real Adventures Connemara; tour Killary Fjord on Killary Cruises Get into the blue with Scubadive West; so many ways to discover this fascinating coastline
- History & Heritage: Explore history and tradition at ‘Ionad Cultúrtha an Phiarsaigh’ (Pearse’s Cottage) or discover ancient forts on the Aran Islands
From camping in Inis Mór to island hopping, the freshest seafood, and the warmest welcome, Connemara and The Islands truly offers the very best in great open spaces, family-friendly activities, and superb hospitality this summer.
Connemara Special Offers for Summer 2021
- Five Night Family Summer Holiday at the Clifden Station House, Clifden, Connemara
5 Nights B&B with Dinner included for all the family on 4 of those evenings. It also includes a family ticket for the Killary Cruise. Total price of €1,315, based on 2 adults and 2 kids.
Bookings: 095-21699 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2 Bed & Breakfasts & 1 Dinner at Lough Inagh Lodge Plus A Day Visit to Kylemore Abbey & Victorian Walled Gardens & Brigits gardens
Stay at Lough Inagh Lodge Country House Hotel in the heart of Connemara for 2 nights and enjoy a splendid dinner on one evening and nutritious breakfast every morning in The Finisglen Restaurant.
This 19th century fishing lodge overlooks the mystical Lough Inagh Lake and is nestled in between Connemara’s majestic mountain ranges The Twelve Bens and The Maumturks. It is the perfect haven for relaxation and enjoying the pleasures of a modern hotel in an old world atmosphere. Take the time to enjoy this beautiful part of Connemara and experience true Irish hospitality in Lough Inagh Lodge.
High Season: May – September €285.00 per person sharing (Superior Accommodation);
Low Season: March, April, October, November, December €245.00 per person sharing (Superior Accommodation)
Bookings: www.loughinaghlodgehotel.ie; Inagh@iol.ie
Telephone No 095 34706
- Wild Atlantic Way Experience incl Boat Tour – The Twelve, Bearna Village, Galway
2 nights slumber inclusive of cooked to order breakfast each morning
A 90 minute boat tour on Killary Fjord taking in the spectacular scenery and meeting the local dolphins if you are lucky
€60 dining or drinks credit to spend in The Pins Gastrobar throughout your stay
A movie night in including our famous brown bag cocktails, jars of stout one, your own popcorn machine, wings, wedges and pizza from Pizza Dozzina.
Cost: from €220 pps Link to book: https://bookings.thetwelvehotel.ie
- Sea Angling at Cashel House
2 nights B&B with Dinner on one evening and Half Day Sea Angling in Roundstone for 2 people with Roundstone Sea Angling
Cost: €290pp sharing
Bookings: Tel: 095 31001 email email@example.com – https://cashelhouse.ie
- Summer at Renvyle House Hotel Resort
Set on a 150 acre estate in Renvyle, Connemara, Renvyle House Hotel and Resort is your perfect base in the West this summer. With unique facilities surrounded by beautiful countryside and fascinating attractions, Renvyle House Hotel and Resort makes for the perfect getaway for Solo Travelers, Couples and Families alike.
With our unique Outdoor Heated Swimming Pool, All Weather Tennis Courts, Guided walk and Locally Produced Theatre Production, there is plenty to see and do on the estate.
Costs: Summer package June – August, three nights Bed and Breakfast, and 2 Evening Meals – prices from €435 pp
- Midweek Golf Break at Carna Bay
Two nights B&B, A 2 Course Evening on both nights, plus 3 rounds of Championship Golf.
Tuesday – Oughterard Championship Golf Course, Wednesday at Connemara Championship Golf Course and Thursday at Galway Bay Golf Resort.
Costs: May – June €275pp sharing, July – August €295pp sharing, Sept – March €275pp sharing. (€25 single supplement)
- 3 Night Family Activity Break at Carna Bay
3 Nights B&B, 3 Course Evening Meal On One Evening Of Your Choice. Includes 2-3 hour kayaking at Ardmore Bay and a 90 minute cruise on the Killary Fjord.
Costs: Starting from 2 adults plus 1 child for €615, or 2 adults plus 2 children from €670, or 2 adults plus 3 children for €745 for July/August
** 5 Night stays start at €1040, or 7 night stays start at €1405
- One Night Escape at Peacockes Hotel including admission to Kylemore Abbey
The perfect one-night getaway break to beautiful Connemara that includes admission to Kylemore Abbey & Victorian Walled Gardens, the top must see visitor attraction in the West. Join us for an overnight stay with full Irish breakfast before you head off to explore Kylemore
- Connemara Coast
The Connemara Coast Hotel is the ideal staycation resort for couples and families this summer. With Connemara and the Aran Islands all easily accessible for day trips, the team at the Connemara Coast Hotel have great itineraries available for you so you can make the most of your precious holiday time. The wilds of Connemara are a short drive west whilst Rossaveal Harbour is only 30 minutes away to access the Aran Islands. The Connemara Coast Hotel has a wonderful array of family friendly packages with a choice of standard, superior or executive style rooms. Our Coast Club Leisure Centre is available to guests and outdoor dining will be a real highlight this year as our newly refurbished Ocean Terrace and Teach Furbo Patio are fantastic outdoor spaces. Bookings: www.connemaracoast.ie